Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Phishing Attacks version 2

From: Zach Jansen <zjanse20 () CALVIN EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:27:14 -0400

Well this had to come eventually, but just in case others haven't seen this... One of my users received a phishing
attack that offered a link to our webmail page and insisted that the user needed to login to secure their account
instead of asking for the password by reply. The link actually goes to an exact copy of our webmail login page and
records the username and password of whoever visits the site. I've also seen HTML forms embedded directly in the email
that do more or less the same thing.

Zach

--

Zach Jansen