Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Confidentiality Agreement with third party vendor

From: Mike Waller <mwaller.distro () GMAIL COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:30:29 -0400

Those are all things to be considered. There are a few additional areas that
should probably be addressed:

1. Data lifecycle/data destruction. You'll want the third party to do the
appropriate work as required by the contract, but at some point, you want to
have assurances that the data is being destroyed in an appropriate manner.
Most generally, you should look for data destruction processes that are DoD
compliant -- could include software wipe, physical destruction of media,
etc.

2. You might want to request, at least, a summary of the third party's
security policies and procedures. This helps you determine, at least at a
very basic level, what kind of security posture they have. Solid policies
and standards don't guarantee anything, but it's sort of a quick-hit review
point.

3. Right to review. I'd recommend adding language that reserves the right to
require a review of the third party's security systems as they pertain to
the work being done. You may never use it, but it A) gives you a contracted
basis for establishing a more comprehensive third party review process in
the future and B) gives you more leverage in the event of a breach. I'd
probably use some language that includes reserving the right to review, up
to, and including, physical site inspections, vulnerability scanning and
penetration testing. Make it a standard clause in your security language.

Good luck!

Mike