Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: External link checks

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:45:29 -0400

Thanks everyone for the ideas.  The AppScan and WebInspect products look
like they would be great to have for internal security testing; however,
I am not sure they would test for security issues outside of the
organization that would affect the end user's workstation.  They appear
to be more geared towards finding holes in the web apps themselves.  Let
me know if I am wrong on that.

I had thought about using wget to fetch things, and then run it through
an AV such as Sophos and/or an IPS such as Snort.  As well I suppose
custom scripts could be written to somewhat check for content we may
want to be aware of.

The two concerns I see with pages hosted directly on our *.edu servers
are direct links to pages that would contain malware that could harm an
end-user's computer and direct links to pages containing inappropriate
content (pornography, racial slurs, phishing, etc.).  User pages are a
different story as that does get into the grey legal area that bring
headaches to us all.  My target focus is institutional webpages
(offices, departments, clubs, etc.) that contain links to external
sites.  Obviously there isn't any way to control what is linked from
pages directly linked from our webpages.  For example, on a student
organization's page at www.school.edu/stuorg/related.html a link is made
to www.relatedorg.org/bulletinboard.php which links to
www.someotherorg.org/comments.html.  There is no control over the link
to someotherorg.org; however, if the page at relatedorg.org becomes
compromised and ends up with a security threat or inappropriate content
then we can remove the link off of our servers to the relatedorg.org
page.

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator