Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SOC

From: Randy Marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:14:51 -0400

We're in the process of completing our SOC here at VA Tech. It's about 75%
complete at this point. Currently, it's manned by members of our IT Security
Office. It works with the Help Desk, local departmental sysadmins, the
University Networking group, and others as needed.

Two good reference papers are "Security Operation Center Concepts &
Implementation" by Renaud Bidou and"Best Practices for Building a Security
Operations Center", a white paper by CA. Renaud's paper is what we used as a
framework. Both papers can be googled.

        Randy Marchany
        VA Tech IT Security Office & Lab