Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FYI: Another round of spear Phishing

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:54:18 -0400

Koerber, Jeff wrote:
Since our spam filters don't seem to be working for these Phishing
attempts, education is the only other alterative.  I was thinking
about sending out a phony phishing message to all students.  It would
direct users to a lighthearted website (entitled "You shouldn't have
clicked on this link") and it would educate them about Phishing and
let them know that we would never ask for their password and how they
should never give out their password to anyone.  That will target the
people we want to receive the message.

Has anyone tried something like this? Do you think it is a good idea?
I could see some saying that they were upset to find out that we were
behind this stunt.

I suggested something like this to our CIO last year, and he pointed out
(rightly) that if we do something like this we're going to lose a huge
amount of credibility with our user base.

For example, right now we're starting an AD deployment, and for various
reasons I won't get into here we need our users who are testing it to
reset their passwords with a web app. I don't think they'd be so willing
to respond to a legitimate request like this if they thought we were
testing them again. Nobody likes to be painted as a fool.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu