Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: statistics for DMCA notifications?

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 18:00:56 -0500

I advise against providing information like this in a public forum.  You
may find your institution mentioned in news articles in a context that
your PR folks (and you) would rather not see.

- ken

Isabelle Graham wrote:
Here are American University's numbers for DMCA incidents per academic
year (excluding summers):

413 - Aug 15, 2007 - May 15, 2008
136 - Aug 15, 2006 - May 15, 2007
98 - Aug 15, 2005 - May 15, 2006
143 - Aug 15, 2004 - May 15, 2005
117 - Aug 15, 2003 - May 15, 2004

--
Isabelle Graham
Information Security

Tim Cline wrote:
I would be interested in communicating off-list with anyone who would
care to share their institutional statistics regarding number of DMCA
notices received in the past several years. Academic year 2007-08
would be OK, 2006-07 and 2007-08 would be even better. At this
juncture, I am just interested in raw annual figures, e.g. 'for
2007-8 we received a total of 50 (500, 5000) notifications'.

I would be happy to share our stats with any correspondents. I am
interested in getting these figures to have something to compare ours
against. If anyone is aware of some central clearinghouse where
similar stats are already available, I would be grateful if you could
pass along any information about where such a resource is located.

Regards,
Tim Cline

Tim Cline
Information Security Analyst
ITS / UNC-Chapel Hill
Tim _Cline () unc edu
(919) 445-9388

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly             Associate Director, Security and Systems