Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Maintenance Window(s) Procedures

From: "Foerst, Daniel P." <FOERST () CUA EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:59:32 -0400

We have had scheduled downtime for Thursday mornings and the third
Sunday of every month for at least 9 years. The Thursdays go back about
20 years I think. With more classes being offered on weekends and
distance learning, we are now faced with having to decrease our
maintenance time, perhaps abandon our Sunday maintenance. During these
periods we will apply patches if necessary, perform reboots, network
work, equipment installation and removal, etc. Only under dire
circumstances do we ever do anything outside of our maintenance periods.

Daniel Foerst
Manager, Networks & Security
The Catholic University of America
Washington, DC 20064