Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Security

From: Daniel Bennett <dbennett () PCT EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 07:10:51 -0400

You want to do what we are currently in the middle of doing.  We had a wide open wireless for a while and soon it is
being converted to WPA/WPA2 and  802.1x Authentication using PEAP with MSCHAP v2.  We use Cisco APs as well and we have
2 WiSMs that we manage them with.  It appears to be working great.  We have 2 2008 Servers running NPS for Radius
authentication for 802.1x.  The only down fall that we have had is PDAs.  I think it is a compatibility issue with
CISCO APs, WiSM, or something that PDAs that support WPA or WPA2 encryption can't authenticate.  We can get PDAs to
associate to the APs but that is where they stop.  So to fix that problem we have a special dumbed down network for
those with Internet Only access.

If anyone knows of any 3rd party, possibly free, pda authentication application that would help use with 802.1x
authentication that would be great.  Like I said we run a WPA/WPA2 AES encrypted wireless with 802.1x authentication
using PEAP.

Daniel R. Bennett
CompTIA Security+
Information Technology Security Analyst