Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Wireless Security

From: "Entwistle, Bruce" <Bruce_Entwistle () REDLANDS EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:21:32 -0700

We will be installing a wireless network in our on campus residence
halls this summer.  As part of the project we are also looking to
increase security on our wireless network.  Our current security policy
is all wireless users must authenticate on to the network which is
controlled by out Impulse NAC.  Once connected, network access is
limited by access lists for the VLANs.   Our current network consists of
Cisco 1200 APs which are managed by a WLSE appliance.   We are looking
to go to encrypted connections, along with looking at other alternatives
for authentication such as 802.1x.  I am looking to find what others
have done in similar implementations, both success and failures, along
with the challenges associated with such a project.

Thank you

Bruce Entwistle

Associate Director Enterprise Services

University of Redlands