Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Blocked outbound ports

From: "Di Fabio, Andrea" <adifabio () NSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:30:30 -0400

On a slightly different topic, I would be interested in knowing what other
institutions are doing with regard to outbound filtering at the gateway.
You can reply directly to me.  I will compile an anonymous list of outbound
ports/applications being blocked and possibly specify the reasons for it
when provided.  We for instance block the following outbound
ports/applications unless for specific authorized servers (*):

Ports: 25(*), 135-139, 445

Apps: Some P2P(*)

Thanks for your feedback.

Andrea Di Fabio

Information Security Officer

High Performance Computing Technology Coordinator

Norfolk State University

Office of Information Technology

Marie V. McDemmond Center for Applied Research, Rm 401F

555 Park Avenue, Suite 401

Norfolk, Virginia 23504

757-823-2896 Office

757-823-2128 Fax