Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Astaro Security Gateway

From: "Consolvo, Corbett D" <cc72 () TXSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:26:39 -0500

Chris (and other lurkers):
  I will post more technical info as we roll it out.  Just as a refresher we are putting the Astaro 320 in as a layer 2
firewall/IPS to protect a particular sensitive subnet.  I provided the below cost estimates to someone directly
yesterday:

I did a comparison between an Astaro 320 and a Cisco ASA 5520.  Money-wise the Astaro came out to under 8k (includes
IPS by default).  The ASA with IPS module came out to ~11.5K.  Both include 3 years of basic maintenance and have
relatively the same performance numbers.  While we have a separate VPN appliance and will not be looking at Astaro for
that it does contain unlimited SSL usage as opposed to the traditional IPSEC from Cisco.  Cisco supports SSL as an
add-on cost for now.  (I am a big fan of client SSL VPNs, we are running the Juniper 4000 now which is excellent.)

Thanks,
Corbett
Texas State University