Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: CheckPoint vs ASA

From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge () UNM EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 17:14:13 -0600

Paul Keser wrote:

It you're strictly looking for performance/$ then you might want to use
a Linux box running IPTables.  There are a number of projects like
FireStarter to give IPTables a GUI front end or Bastille-Linux to harden
and configure it from the command line.  It is hard to beat free.  If
you outgrow your firewall box, make it a web (or LDAP, SSLVPN, etc.)
server and get a bigger faster box.  This should work for speeds up to
gigabit.  If you need 10G that is a whole different (and *much* more
expensive) game...give Moore's Law some time to catch up or be prepared
to spend some serious coin... :-)

Moving your Check Point licenses to a Linux box would let you increase
your firewall performance with the only additional expense of the
hardware (and of course continuing support on the CP licenses).  This
would also save the Nokia hardware support but you would still be using
Check Point...might make a good interim step if you want to move towards
an IPTables based solution.  If you have an HA pair of Nokia's this
probably isn't ideal solution since Linux doesn't have HA built in like
IPSO, but I think you only have 1 firewall currently according to your
email.

This is offtopic from the subject, but I can mostly agree with the
iptables cost issues.

I supported Linux firewalls at LANL.gov for a while. We were able to
handle gigabit/s flows on commodity hardware with iptables and e1000
cards. I am a big proponent of iptables, but do not consider it to be
"free". It takes a bit of learning to know what you are seeing is what
you want and what you don't want. But on the other hand, it allows you
to get your hands deep where the other firewall software used to not let
you.

Due to the nature of the firewalls, I never used a gui to setup or look
at flows. I instead did all tables by hand so that I had a good idea of
what I was blocking, letting through, and logging. What I have seen of
the GUI's is that they are at the 'good-enough' state. Not a lot of
bells and whistles.. but a good enough to say "X:Y->Z->A:B is
blocked/allowed"

--
Stephen Smoogen -- ITS/Linux Administrator
  MSC02 1520 1 University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001