Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: security for Windows logoff scripts writing to log files

From: Mike Phillips <mphillips () CLARION EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:17:31 -0500

Kevin:

I am doing similar tracking in a central log file.  Here is how I had to
setup the log file share and folder permissions for the Authenticated Users
group:

Windows Share:
READ, CHANGE

Folder Permissions:
Create Files / Write Data
Create Folders / Append Data
Write Attributes
Write Extended Attributes

With these settings Authenticated Users can append to the existing log file,
but cannot list the contents of the share/folder or delete files.

Mike Phillips
Clarion University of Pennsylvania