Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: security for Windows logoff scripts writing to log files

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:09:15 -0700

I don't know of any way to allow a user/process to only append new data
to the end of a file without some other layer in between.  You can
either modify the file or you can't, there isn't a granularity of append
versus other modifications.  You could log the event to either the local
Windows event log or a remote syslog type server.  Another approach
would be an application/database pair that allowed a user to add rows,
but not edit existing rows.  Or, you could create new log files for each
event, but that would add up quickly.

Using the Windows event log or syslog approach would also address your
concern about users being able to update the log outside of the script
(to a degree anyway).

Brad Judy