Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Fraudulent Facebook Profile

From: Kees Leune <LEUNE () ADELPHI EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:40:00 -0500

Hello Everyone,

It was brought to my attention today that (presumably) one or more of our students created a fake Facebook profile of
one of our Faculty members. The page contains elements copied from the University's Faculty Profiles (which are only
available via our Intranet), and advertises the individual in such a way that it could damage that person's individual
integrity, as well as the University's good name.

Unfortunately, reaching out to Facebook via their abuse@ email address did not solicit any reaction yet, and given the
general buzz I do not expect to hear much back from that route either. Has anyone on this list ever handled a situation
like this before? If so, how did you handle it?

Any suggestions would be more than appreciated!

Thank you,

kees