Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted email

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:32:39 -0500

Perhaps a better place to start would be to define what the goals are.

Clientless encryption is impossible if the goal is end-user to end-user encryption. Even Hushmail fell into this trap when they offered a clientless way for users to access their mail. They didn't make it clear to users that any time the server is involved with the decryption process, it means that your mail can be decrypted if there is a subpoena or a server is compromised.

But if the goal is to provide a way for users to securely send sensitive data to any other email recipient, then it appears that a Voltage-type system would be very useful. However, I wouldn't necessarily call it encryption.

Jesse Thompson
University of Wisconsin-Madison (email services)

Mike Wiseman wrote:
Heather,

I would be interested to hear about your experience with the Voltage product, (called SecureMail?). My institution does not currently support central email encryption but we’re running POC testing of X.509 certs, cryptographic smartcards – S/MIME is one of the areas of interest. But SecureMail looks interesting: clientless encryption, decryption authenticated using central authentication system, no user certs or keys to distribute/manage...
Mike

Mike Wiseman

Computing and Networking Services

University of Toronto

For all of you out there handling HIPAA-protected email and other restricted information -

Do you use an email encryption service or application? Stanford University uses Voltage (http://www.voltage.com), and we're starting a process to review the service overall to determine if this is still the right solution for us today. What's worked (or not worked) for you?

Thanks!

Heather Flanagan

Director, System Administration

heatherf () stanford edu <mailto:heatherf () stanford edu>

--
  Jesse Thompson
  Email/IM: jesse.thompson () doit wisc edu