Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Identify Finder

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:24:29 -0700

FYI: The approach I've recommended for the non-hyphenated formats is to
search using the most common first three digits for your students.  This
catches most large lists of SSN's while minimizing false positives.
Additionally, I highly recommend the use of boundary conditions for any
regular expression searches.

For example, here's a simple regular expression that could be used for
one portion of Colorado SSN's:

\b65[0-3]\d{6}\b

I beleive the more advanced versions of Identity Finder allow for custom
regular expression searches, so one could add a check like the one
above.

In my experience, the vast majority of large SSN repositories/lists use
a straight nine digit format, so skipping it will likely mean not
detecting your highest impact files.   When it comes to data breaches,
finding these large repositories is a higher priority than the ability
to look into a variety of files types to find single items.

Brad Judy

IT Security Office
University of Colorado at Boulder