Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Identify Finder

From: Isac Balder <piis8 () YAHOO COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:53:12 -0800

So far we are impressed.  Though it skips information
not in a dashed format.  We had a few instances were
home brew apps were handling data without the dash and
Identity finder missed it.  On the other hand I'll
take that over a slew of false positives on straight
nine digit numbers.

I have heard that the vendor is working on a central
reporting / management server.

Yes it only finds data that is resident and not in
transmission.  But we have found that most users are
not even aware of the data that is on their system.
Step 1) identitfy, Step 2) eduacate, Step 3) mitigate
the transmission factor.

The thing we really liked about Identity Finder was
the ease of use for the average user, the fact that it
scans the Outlook PST files (were we tend to find the
block of data), and none ASCII files like PDF.

I.B.

--- "McNeil, Sharon McLawhorn" <McLawhorns () ECU EDU>
wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the scanning tool
"Identify Finder"?
We're looking for a tool to assist us in discovering
sensitive data such
as SSN's, credit card numbers, etc.

Thanks,

Sharon M. McNeil