Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: consequences for student hacking

From: "Halliday,Paul" <Paul.Halliday () NSCC CA>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:19:51 -0400

"What do your institutions do when you catch a student sniffing the wired or wireless network for userID's and
passwords?"

This is an interesting question. Years ago a close friend of mine made the following statement:

"I will stop listening to your conversations when you stop transmitting them to me"

This prompts the following:

If I happen to be 'passively' collecting data that 'your' network happens to be providing me with, have I done
something wrong? If you feel I have, how will you prove it? If your answer is because I have another users credentials,
I will vehemently deny it and claim that the user gave me those credentials for xyz reason. If you wish to pursue it
further, your arguments will be nothing but speculation. That said It is your responsibility to sanitize, or at least
police what type of information a casual observer can glean from your network (passively).

If the offender has transpired past casual observation and is actively scanning, probing, sniffing (as we will now be
aware of it (contrary to the opinion of a previous poster)) then that person is doing something illegal :) and last
time I checked policies do not trump law.

-p