Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Layer 2 infrastructure security

From: Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:33:39 -0600

We're in the process of moving from Cisco to Foundry for a number of
reasons, cost of course being a biggie.  We looked at most of the brands
below and were closely considering HP and Juniper before deciding on
Foundry.

For management and monitoring, we have shifted from Cisco's LMS
(CiscoWorks Lan Manager Solution) to Zenoss, an open-source solution
(http://www.zenoss.com/) to complement the now mixed architecture.

I'd be glad to put you in touch with our main network admin, he could
provide you with more detailed information and perhaps answer your
security questions.

Kevin
---

Kevin Halgren
Assistant Director - Systems and Network Services
Washburn University
(785) 670-2341
kevin.halgren () washburn edu

Consolvo, Corbett D wrote:

Networking security question:

We are evaluating switch vendors to begin replacing our somewhat older
layer 2/access infrastructure in the next few months.  We have had
meetings with HP, Extreme, Juniper (brand new switch line), Enterasys,
Nortel, Foundry, and Cisco.  We are currently a Cisco shop.  Does
anyone have any experience (especially security-related) to share
regarding some of the vendors and their layer two products as well as
central management?

Thanks!

Corbett Consolvo

Texas State University