Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Security & Gaming Systems

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:51:07 -0400

Jenkins, Matthew wrote:
We have had several requests from students to use gaming systems (e.g.
Xbox, Wii, PS, etc.) on our wireless system.  One request just came from
a residence hall with no wired ports.  Currently we require
authentication on all of our wireless SIDs, with the exception of a
private SID we have MAC filtered for specific campus owned devices.  How
are other institutions handling gaming systems, PDAs, and other hosts
that cannot authenticate via a web interface?  Ps:  We are currently
utilizing Cisco AP controllers.  Thanks,

Depends on how flat your network is and whether you use NAC. We have
Clean Access, and authenticate game systems manually, into a role that
permits them Internet access but severely restricts their on-campus
access (basically they can see our DNS servers is all). They can play
games all they want, but it's not practical to try to fool us into
registering a computer as a game system, unless you didn't care about
little things like email or anything to do with coursework...

This system works for us with either wired or wireless connections, no
difference. Guest access is via special temporary guest accounts,
likewise wired or wireless makes no difference.

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." --Einstein.