Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Wireless Security & Gaming Systems

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:43:44 -0400

We have had several requests from students to use gaming systems (e.g.
Xbox, Wii, PS, etc.) on our wireless system.  One request just came from
a residence hall with no wired ports.  Currently we require
authentication on all of our wireless SIDs, with the exception of a
private SID we have MAC filtered for specific campus owned devices.  How
are other institutions handling gaming systems, PDAs, and other hosts
that cannot authenticate via a web interface?  Ps:  We are currently
utilizing Cisco AP controllers.  Thanks,

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator
Fairmont State University