Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Local Administrators

From: "Brian K. Doré" <bkd () LOUISIANA EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:32:54 -0500

You have software that runs for Administrators but not as Power Users?    XP or Vista?  *

If security is a concern,  you  probably want your users to run as plain USERS.  Not Power Users.   Power Users can
become administrators without too much trouble.

If the software runs as an Administrator, but not as a regular user then take the time to find out what
files/folders/registry keys the programs need access to and set access appropriately for users.   You can do this by
setting deny access auditing on the file system and registry, or using tools like filemon and regmon to determine what
is needed.   Once you figure them out, use Group Policy to apply the settings to the appropriate computers.

* In VISTA the  POWER USERS group doesn't have the same permissions that it had in XP.   Also, in Vista, registry
virtualization can allow some poorly written software to run without giving users higher access.

Brian

---

Brian Doré
University of Louisiana at Lafayette