Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Impulse Safe Connect

From: Peter Charbonneau <Peter.Charbonneau () WILLIAMS EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:50:48 -0400

Kevin,

We have used the Impulse appliance since May of 2005 and I have just a few -quick- comments to make.

First, and I think most importantly, it just works.

We have our Students, most guests, summer conferees and administrative departments using it. I can't remember the last call/ticket/end-user problem that resulted from the SafeConnect product. We have had NO virus outbreak on our campus in almost 3 years. Again, it just works.

Second, we thought it would be a hard sell having a persistent client installed on non-college owned assets; it wasn't. Most students were kind of "whatever" about it; those that became semi- paranoid, we educated (I think there might have been 6 or 8 students).

We, also, had documentation ready to send to parents -- we only sent out one set of docs to a student's parents.

Third, I was somewhat nervous about using a product from a (potentially) lesser known company; I should not have been. We have an engineer assigned to us; he vettes all calls/email messages, and the company support response has been great.

The issues I/we have, though, are not with the appliance or end-user connectivity issues, they are because of my "senior moments" in that I seldom have to "fool with it".

Additionally, in the past, we have used/demo'd Bradford's CM, and Perfigo -- errr Clean Access, and the (now defunct Lockdown Networks).

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me