Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cisco VPN concentrator Replacement Recommendation Needed

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:49:49 -0400

The Cisco ASA does a good job at remote IPSEC VPN.  We have a 5510
running anywhere from 20-100 concurrent connections.  Getting it to
authenticate against MS AD via LDAP so that we could assign users to
tunnels based on AD group membership was a bit of a trick but we were
able to do it.  We also use it with RSA SecurID (RADIUS) and have no
issues.  I have not implemented SSL yet but have seen it run several
years ago and it was pretty nice.  We also have a 5540 running sometimes
over 100 concurrent connections + firewalling our wireless with the
remote IPSEC and you can't tell the load by looking at the CPU and
memory use.  The ASAs for us have been very stable and robust.

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator
Fairmont State University