Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Classification: Legal criteria

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:03:39 -0400

From personal experience, I'd advise staying clear of middle-ground
catch-all classes.  Invariably, there end up data at one end or the
other of its spectrum.  This means you can't as cleanly tie a set of
controls to a classification.  It becomes like a bell curve, and it's
expensive to control all data in that huge central range the same way
the stuff at the top end of the middle class warrants.

We went from a 3-class model to a 4-class one.  It provides some
interesting benefits:

1) you get a "super-top-secret cone-of-silence" class at the high end,
into which you can toss all the stuff that requires extra-ordinary
controls like PCI, without unduly burdening the rest of your sensitive
data.
2) you get an "internal" (just above public) class that just means
"stuff that we won't freak about if spilled" (e.g. calendars and room
schedules)
3) you get a "sensitive" class where you can practice that "careful"
level of diligence you commonly think of around things like grades.
4) you can designate the top half (the top two classes) as "sensitive"
and refer to them in aggregate conveniently.

Also, just because something is regulated doesn't mean it requires
PCI-level handling.  Take FERPA for example.  That's why I'd avoid
having a "regulated" category, and just say in your policy that any
requirements specified by contractual or governmental regulation trumps,
regardless of [your] classification.