Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Classification: Legal criteria

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:07:29 -0700

David,

 Right, this seems pretty standard. My question is: on what objective
basis do you define information as internal? Thinking in terms of a
public institution, how do you justify your right to control information
when the law doesn't require it?

 For example, saying it is a business need, or what would happen should
you do anything otherwise, doesn't satisfy the question: what criteria
is being used? Now, perhaps "best practice" is the best criteria, since
this is the best expression of a business need. I'm just wondering if
people have used other criteria as a means to justify this distinction?

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College