Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Authentication of remote users

From: Scott Fendley <scottf () UARK EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:03:01 -0600

Ooooo.  That is a loaded question.  I have seen two different ways
that banks have done this.

1)  Ask you questions about bank account such as a check # and amount.
2) Ask you which branch you visit most often and ship you off there
to be authenticated by a teller who is most likely to know you from
the number of visits you make.  (My bank makes their tellers learn
their customer's names within 2 visits so hopefully they will know
you are called Stef versus Stephanie and make you willing to come back again.)

Both of these have faults to them and haven't had occasion to test
them in the past few years to see if they have another alternative
should you need access to your money and can't go through normal
procedures like visiting your local branch with photo id.

Scott