Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Releasing details

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:37:55 -0500

We use our GULP (Grand Unified Logging Program) to track all authenticated logins to any system, including email.
Since we know all of the usual IP addresses
that a user logs in from, it is usually fairly easy to spot a login from an unusual address - we can find out from the
complainant if they were at the location
of the login in question and then we can also trace all logins from the IP in questions to see what other ID's logged in -
then it's up to our Public Safety
people to interview the list of suspects - we have very successfully caught hackers using this, and it works whether or
not the IP was on our campus.

The information you need is in your logs .. you just have to have some organized way to dig it out.

My 2 cents.

Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel