Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop encryption (what are you protecting against?)

From: Greg Vickers <g.vickers () QUT EDU AU>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 11:56:37 +1000

Hi all,

Dennis Tracz wrote:
Hello all,

I am new to this list so please forgive me if this topic has already
been covered.
I am interested in knowing, what is the common practice for Laptop
encryption, specifically:

1.  What is your current practice:
    a.  Do you use encryption on laptops (for laptops you administer)
    b.  Do you encrypt the entire hard drive or selected folders i.e.(
My Documents)
    c.  Do you use a commercial product or EFS
    e.  If encryption is used is it automatically configured (for
laptops you administer) or do users have a choice

2.  What is your desired practice if you do not use encryption on laptops

a.  Is this something you are wanting, attempting or not wishing to do?
b.  Would you encrypt the entire hard drive or selected folders i.e.( My
Documents)
c.  Would you use a commercial product or EFS?
d.  Would you automatically encrypt (for laptops you administer) or
would you let your users have a choice?

Just to throw a spanner in the works, what are people trying to protect
against with their implementation of this technology?

* Opportunity attack; loss/theft of a laptop?
* Targeted attack; attempt to retrieve sensitive information (by theft
or remote intrusion)
* Something else?

We are just about to start a project to investigate the technology
available and will be looking for something that is cross-platform and
centrally managed.

Cheers,
--
Greg Vickers