Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Full Disk Encryption

From: "Mclaughlin, Kevin (mclaugkl)" <mclaugkl () UCMAIL UC EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:22:35 -0500

I know this topic has come up in the past and I don't want to repeat items
so I do apologize in advance if this particular set of questions has already
been ran through the wringer.

I need to collect data points on:

.         how many schools are using  a full disk encryption option for
faculty and staff PCs that store regulated data (FERPA, HIPAA, GLB, PCI,
etc.)

.         how many schools are using a full disk encryption option for
faculty and staff external devices (thumb drives, USB, etc.) that store
regulated data (FERPA, HIPAA, GLB, PCI, etc.)

.         have any of you successfully implemented an encrypted folder
option that is being consistently followed by your community members?

.         Have any of you implemented an encrypted folder option that you
would call a failure as people aren't using it in a consistent manner?

.         What was the main impetus for your decision to go with full disk
encryption as a tool for your community to use?

You can respond back via the list or private email and I think you in
advance for sharing any data points you feel I would find useful.

Happy Holidays.

-Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin

CISM, CISSP, PMP, ITIL Master Certified

Director, Information Security

University of Cincinnati

513-556-9177 (w)

513-703-3211 (m)

513-558-ISEC (department)

 UC-Logo-800

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and its content is confidential,
intended solely for the addressee, and may be legally privileged. Access to
this message and its content by any individual or entity other than those
identified in this message is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying or distribution of this e-mail may be
unlawful. Any action taken or omitted due to the content of this message is
prohibited and may be unlawful.