Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommendations on Email Filtering System

From: "Childs, Aaron" <aaron () WSC MA EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:39:42 -0500

Hi Tony,

  We are in the process of replacing our spam filter as well.  We are
currently beta-testing SpamAssassin combined with grey-listing.  So far
the test only includes individuals within our department and few select
individuals outside of our department who typically receive a large
amount of spam.  We anticipate rolling this out to the rest of our
campus during Winter break.

  Surprisingly SpamAssassin & greylisting is catching almost all spam
(Efficiency 99.41% False Positive 0.15% False Negative 0.43%, as
reported through the Maia web interface), unlike our anti-spam appliance
which is only catching 50% at best.  It doesn't report the name of the
virus but it does give the count in the quarantine.

  This solution is relatively cheap to implement, all you need is a
beefy server (lots of memory, fast drives, fast processor, etc) and the
software is free.  We spent about $10k on the server and this will
eventually handle roughly 5500 users.

Have a good day,

  Aaron

Aaron Childs
Assistant Director, Networking
Westfield State College
http://www.wsc.ma.edu/it/

"I would rather write 10,000 notes than one letter of the alphabet."
                -- Beethoven