Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Two or multi-factor authentication inquiry

From: Greg Vickers <g.vickers () QUT EDU AU>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:32:03 +1000

Hi all,

We are investigating multi-factor authentication mechanisms and part of
this project is to clarify the business case for this technology for QUT.

We have found reports that indicate that uptake of two- or multi-factor
authentication across U.S. universities is around 30%, if your
University has implemented this technology (or are considering
piloting), can I get some information please:
1) The name of your University,
2) What is the risk that your implementation mitigates,
3) What target systems use the technology,
4) What authentication methods you have deployed (PKI, OTP, biometrics etc)

Replies direct to me or or the list are fine, if you wish for your
information to not be shared that is fine.

Thanks,
--
Greg Vickers
IT Security Engineer & Project Manager