Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Xbox

From: Christopher Webber <christopher.webber () UCR EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 12:55:10 -0800

We allow XBox Live service and allow users to connect to each other in
the halls but we do not allow them to host games out to the internet.

Christopher Webber, SCSA
Resnet Coordinator
Housing Services
University of California, Riverside

Office: 951.827.6595
Fax: 951.827.7099

Some things Man was never meant to know. For everything else, there's Google.
- Unknown

jkaftan wrote:
We have more and more students wanting to get their Xbox's and other gaming
consoles on the network.  We have decided to allow it.  However there is a
problem with them being able to connect to each other on the internet -
inbound ports.  They are requesting inbound ports being opened.  Due to our
NAT and DHCP this would be ugly at best.  However security is our biggest
concern.

Have your students been asking for this?  Has anyone found a way to give the
students what they want securely and easily?