Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Xbox

From: "Brawner, David" <dbrawner () MARYVILLE EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 14:49:54 -0600

We have been able to offer Xbox live services by upgrading our firewall
to a SonicWall.  It has shown to be a vast improvement in intelligent
stateful packet inspection over our previous Novell BorderManager
firewall.  The SonicWall has allowed us to permit Xbox, Playstation, and
Gamecube online play for our students without writing any special rules.

Unfortunately, we have run into another nagging network issue with the
Xbox Live service.  Xboxes on our campus have had intermittent
connection problems to the Xbox Live service supposedly because our MTU
size is not 1492 (ours is 1500).  But unfortunately, this is not a
consistent problem, so we have had a hard time nailing it down.

Anybody else have these issues?

David S. Brawner
Manager of Network & User Services
Maryville University of St. Louis