Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Local Admin Access for Enduser's University Computer

From: Harold Winshel <winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 08:56:49 -0500

I work for a decentralized unit providing tech support for faculty
and staff and we're developing a written policy pertaining to
restricted access on their university computers - i.e., no windows
admin account for the user - and am interested in sample wording that
anyone might offer.

The structure of the policy we're considering would probably consist
of a general rule on not granting admin access for the enduser, along
with a list of well-defined exceptions.  We may also want to specify
a process for requesting an exception to the policy though, if we are
not precise in establishing the exceptions, it could easily lead to a
floodgate.

We will also consider additional responsibilities of any user who
would be granted an exception, such as requiring them to bring their
notebook computers in for a "checkup" periodically.

Thanks,

Harold

Harold Winshel
Computing and Instructional Technologies
Faculty of Arts & Sciences
Rutgers University, Camden Campus
311 N. 5th Street, Room B10 Armitage Hall
Camden NJ 08102
(856) 225-6669 (O)