Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Security

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:58:08 -0400

The legendary advice "never write passwords down" originated from the days
when officemates were among the major threats, 3270 terminals were new, and
post-it notes soon became the classic example of that threat vector.

Now that the Internet is the usual vector for password attack, IMO having a
stronger password is very important, even if they have to keep a copy in
their wallet (or somewhere reasonably safe) because it's not memorable.

The risk here depends on the value of the asset being protected by that
password, and whether these people are likely to choose bad (but memorable)
passwords if they are prohibited from writing them down.  Let's presume the
asset is not of unusual value.  If it were, it may be too permissive to let
them write passwords.

If the asset is not unusual, I would ensure that the passwords are strong,
then let them keep them in their wallet, especially if they're infrequent
users.  You'll save everyone "lost password" headaches, and fewer of their
accounts will end up in the hands of hostile-persons across the net.