Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Forefront

From: "Harry E Flowers (flowers)" <flowers () MEMPHIS EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:55:49 -0500

I can't speak to the desktop product, but Forefront Security for Exchange is basically  Sybari Antigen for Exchange
2007  (Microsoft bought Sybari, and you can still buy Antigen for Exchange 2003 from Microsoft).  Antigen was perhaps
the best AV available for Exchange servers (Trend Micro also had a good product).  You can use various scan engines
(Sophos is one, Kaspersky another) with it, so you get virus definitions from several good vendors.  We are currently
using Forefront Security for Exchange 2007.

Supposedly, the Forefront Client Security is an expansion of the server-based product to a desktop environment for file
scanning (something Sybari didn't offer).  If it works similarly, I would expect it to be pretty good as far as
catching viruses with multiple scan engines.  Since I haven't tried it, I can't say how well it was implemented "in
real life".
--
Harry Flowers
Manager, Systems Software