Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: music download discounts

From: Joe Bazeley <JBAZELE () LUC EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:11:15 -0500

We're looking at promoting Ruckus's music service on campus this fall.  While it is Windows-only, it is a free service
for students with a .edu email addresses -
http://ruckus.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ruckus.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=20 .  A quick survey matching the songs
listed in DMCA notifications versus the available catalog showed that around 95% of the songs were available on Ruckus.

Joe Bazeley
Chief Information Security Officer
Loyola University Chicago
(773) 508-6086

Aaron Childs <aaron () WSC MA EDU> 7/26/2007 11:49 AM >>>
Hi Steve,
  Here at WSC we use a service called Ruckus (www.ruckus.com)
installation and hardware was free (as long as you have at least 3000
students to sign-up in the first year).  Students can listen to songs
for free through their proprietary player (runs on Windows only for
now).  If they want a copy of the song on their hard drive they pay $1
per song.

Aaron

Aaron Childs
Assistant Director of Networking