Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Preservation Letter

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 14:10:04 -0400

Dick Jacobson wrote:
This just does not want to go away. 8-0

I have been asked to put together a procedure for responding to the
different notices from the copyright holders or their agents and to find
out what others are doing.  The discussions now are with the attorneys
(plural).

The Takedown notices and Pre-Litigation notices are not causing as much
conversation as the Preservation notice.

First, it is understood that we are under no obligation with regard to
these notices and will not alter our log retention practices from our
stated policy in order to accomodate the notice.

Not so clear is if we should identify the individual and notify the
individual that we received the notice.

One of the attorneys has suggested that the Preservation notice gives us
knowledge of the activity and we should treat it the same as a Takedown
notice.

I am interested in both your thoughts and your stated process for these.

Are there any examples of these available online? I haven't seen one
yet, and as the guy who deals with the takedowns, I'm sure it's only a
matter of time. I'd like to be prepared.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-2403
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu