Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: POint of Sale Device

From: Bill Ogle <info () COMPLYGUARDNETWORKS COM>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 14:34:35 -0400

I too am interested in any such tool.
Thank You
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Gibson, Nathan J. (HSC) [mailto:Nathan-Gibson () OUHSC EDU]
  Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:15 PM
  To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
  Subject: [SECURITY] POint of Sale Device

  Does anyone know of a tool/product that can be used to check a credit card
point of sale device to make sure it does not store credit card information?
To give you a picture of what I am talking about. Let say you walked into a
gas station and purchased a soda with your CC. The attendant swipes your
card in a little black box that sits on the edge of the counter. It does not
tie into an application, just a device with a modem that sends the
information to a bank for processing. I want to be able to check the device
to make sure it is not storing information locally?

  Rumor has it, a University somewhere Colorado did this once and I wondered
if anyone knows of any tools/solutions out there that could help.  Any
information about a solution/outside vendor would be greatly appreciated.

  V/R,

  Nathan J Gibson, CISSP