Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How do you implement VLAN segmentation in your buildings?

From: Bruce Curtis <bruce.curtis () NDSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 12:55:19 -0500

On May 9, 2007, at 6:01 PM, Rob Whalen wrote:

Greetings,
We have VLAN'ed our resnet to the jack (each jack gets five working
addresses)and are working on doing the same for the staff, which
are now subnetted by building.
Rob Whalen
Network Analyst

  As I mentioned before I prefer one VLAN per building or group of
buildings but to be fair you didn't mention on of the advantages of
one VLAN per port as you are implementing, it prevents arp-poisoning
man-in-the-middle attacks.

  For IPv6 do you plan to give each jack/vlan a /64?

Br. Kenneth Arnold wrote:
For the most part we use a separate vlan for each building but
there are exceptions.  Some buildings have a separate vlan for
different floors if there is a high concentration of network
devices.  Some vlans apply to more than one building if there is a
low concentration of network devices in the buildings.  In one
case a building has two different vlans because the building
serves two entirely different functions.