Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HBO and DMCA, and peer2peer directory mining

From: "Lovaas,Steven" <Steven.Lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:43:01 -0600

Jim,

Relying on cached directory information certainly doesn't seem like direct knowledge, since it's possible to put fake
information in the directory. In fact, an investigative technique that has been used is to actually seed a directory
with a bogus (or otherwise tagged) file that can be monitored for downloads and subsequent offerings. Given that
tactic, there's no non-repudiation involved. In fact, given that *some* people eagerly use these applications for
illegal purposes, it would be surprising if non-repudiation were even considered as a feature. But even more basically,
with IPv4, there's no non-repudiation possible unless you're using some sort of crypto function to sign and/or encrypt
the traffic. What's to keep someone outside your University from spoofing the address in the first place?

As for your campus judicial process (IANAL = I am not a lawyer), I would never want to instigate an action based solely
on a complaint like this, wihout first seeking corroborating evidence through an internal IT investigative process.
"Preponderance" of evidence suggests that you'd want confirmation (like your own traffic logs, system snapshots, etc).

Steve

Steven Lovaas, MSIA, CISSP
Network Security Manager
Academic Computing & Network Services