Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HBO and DMCA, and peer2peer directory mining

From: James Moore <jhmiso () RIT EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:57:12 -0400

This brings up an interesting policy (for our student judicial
proceeding) and law issue (in terms of response), which is why I also
included the Educause ICPL group.

If what HBO (and ???) is reading is directory information from peer to
peer services, then what validity does that have to legal complaints.
Isn't this like hearsay (if not, please explain the differences -- HBO
doesn't have direct knowledge, do they)? (Note: I am not an attorney,
just a security professional interested in stating responses
accurately).

Has anyone analyzed the directory protocols of peer to peer file sharing
for elements of non-repudiation.

And from our campus judicial system perspective, we operate on the basis
of preponderance of evidence.  Is this something that with a lack of
non-repudiation, and issues with currency of data, that we have
preponderance of evidence?

Jim