Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Large edu's doing NAT campus wide?

From: Marcos Vieyra <Mvieyra () GWM SC EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:20:37 -0400

Joe,

I have often thought of presenting at the Security EDUCAUSE conference
on this exact topic, but can't seem to find the time to actually create
a presentation.

We use NAT extensively on our campus, and it is a *very* mixed bag.
Specifically, we are using it in our residence halls, our wireless
networks, and in other locations throughout our campus.  From my
perspective, it creates some really big problems.  The biggest problem
for me is the colossal chore it then becomes to *try* and locate
machines on the network when they are reported to us by external
agencies.  A great example of such reports would be DMCA complaints.

To be fair, there are ways one could use NAT on a campus and *not* have
these problems.  It would require careful planning, extensive logging
and retention of those logs for a fixed period of time, and the
infrastructure to support that level of logging.  On a campus of our
size, these logs grow really fast, and the device(s) handling the
translation need to be very strong.

From a security perspective, I agree with Randy.  I am not convinced
that NAT adds any meaningful measure of security.  We already have
border firewalls, so anything that isn't explicitly allowed through will
not directly reach our hosts (NAT'd or not).  Once one of your
externally facing hosts is compromised, the attacker typically gains
access to the inside of your network, where you likely route RFC 1918
address space.  NAT buys you obscurity, not security.

So why do we use NAT?  I'm not entirely sure, but it was more than
likely an IP address saving/recovery scheme.  I think someone decided
that it was easier to use NAT than to try and recover wasted address
space in our class B.

Hi,

Is anyone aware of a study of large edu's who are doing NAT
campus wide?

I know the universal answer machine (aka Google) probably knows,
but my Google-foo is failing me on this one.

Assuming the problem is actually that no one has done a study
of this so far, I'd also be delighted to hear about any noteworthy
individual campus examples which folks may happen to know about.

Thanks,

Joe St Sauver (joe () oregon uoregon edu)
http://www.uoregon.edu/~joe/

--
Marcos Vieyra
Information Security Manager