Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Large edu's doing NAT campus wide?

From: Chris Allison <allisoc () MUOHIO EDU>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:05:29 -0400

        All,
        I would be interested in hearing other peoples ideas concerning
using a campus wide NAT to provide additional protection.
At MU we are looking at adding NAT.  The idea would be that the
internal address space would not be reachable from outside unless
you used VPN or talked to the security guys about setting up a static
IP and associated NAT map.
        As you might imagine, a number of academic types don't like the
idea.  For the most part, they have not created a convincing
argument against.  My experience is they don't really come after you
until after you pull the switch.
        With all the devices coming onto campus, one does not have to look
far to see we will have addressing problems soon.  In
fact we are already having point issues and the occurrences are
becoming more frequent.
        We don't yet have experience with campus wide NAT, so I would very
much like to know about others and;
Joe,
        Could you send me any responses you received?
        Thanks,
        Chris Allison, PMP
        Miami University