Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: physical security of datacenter with hosting services

From: "William C. Moore II" <wcmoore () VALDOSTA EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:06:40 -0400

Bob,

On a similar note how did your campus insure that the current or previous
monitoring staff 'done no harm' to the monitored systems while it was
monitored?  I believe there has to be a certain level of trust, coupled with
binding agreements and back ground check, among the staff and the
administrators of the systems.

You will always inherit some risks but can you use the previous steps of how
a person was approved to be a monitor as proven effectiveness for future
actions and a precedence?  For example why did you trust little Johnny to
monitor the main server room?  What approval process was there?

Bill

William C. Moore II, CISSP, MEd, MLIS
Assistant Director of Information Technology
Information Security
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
Phone:(229)333-5974
Fax:  (229)245-4349

The information transmitted is intended only for the person addressed.
Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or the taking of
any action in reliance upon this information is prohibited. If you
received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete or
destroy this message and any copies.