Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

VPN policies.

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:46:25 -0400

Like most institutions, I'm sure, we're getting more and more requests
from people who want access to on-campus resources from off-campus. Our
VPN concentrator is more than up to the task, but right now, we're
discussing the best set of policies to allow people access to work from
home without compromising data.

How are people handling this? Are users accessing VPNs with their
personally owned machines at your institution? Are you mandating laptops
for users who work from home? An entirely different computer that stays
at the employee's house? Who pays for the Internet connection? What
about other hardware (routers, APs, etc.) that they need? Is IT
supplying computers for off-campus use, or is it the job of the department?

Any and all input is appreciated.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-2403
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu