Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Proximity Authentication

From: "Jones, Dan" <Dan.Jones () UMASSMED EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:36:06 -0400

Our parking office is currently deploying a new proximity card system,
and we will most likely start using it for two-factor authentication in
several places.

Background:

The card system is provided by HID Corporation. We have the Prox cards
with 16 "processors". Each processor can support an additional system.
The base "system" will be for building access including biometrics for
access to restricted areas (drug lab, etc.).

Our library will use one processor for checking out books at the
reference desk. Food services will use another to help expedite their
point of sale stations.

Information Services' Use:

To enable this technology for use with IT, we will use Verisoft's Access
Manager. The enterprise version extends the Active Directory schema to
include the card information as well as biometrics, etc. in the
directory. The access manager has features that enable access policies
based on the user's location (IP address), level of authentication
(two-factor or not), system patch level and other factors.

There is also a non-enterprise version of the software which has worked
well for me on a stand-alone station, although if you frequently update
Firefox this software will always tell you that your browser is "too
new" to be supported.

USB style prox card readers (CardMan 5321) came from AAITG.com.

We're just starting to test this and it looks quite promising.

Best,

Dan Jones

Manager of IT Security

University of Massachusetts