Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Looking for a laptop encryption policy for institutionally-owned laptops

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:43:32 -0400

Encrypting them is easy.  Regaining authorized access when someone {forgets
their key | leaves | becomes disgruntled | etc} is not often so.

You'll want to put some thought into key escrow processes, to ensure that the
owner (your university) always has a governed means of getting to the
encrypted contents, possibly regardless of reason or circumstance.

Some commercial products provide mechanisms for managing key escrow, which is
where their value-add primarily appears.
The free stuff can be equally effective at thwarting a laptop thief - it just
doesn't necessarily give you a scalable managed recovery mechanism.